Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Three people killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two suspected gunmen found dead

The FBI has been called in to investigate a shooting at the Islamic centre, which authorities are treating as a hate crime.

Two police officers carry weapons around a crime scene
Five people, including two teenage suspects, are dead after a shooting at a California Islamic centre. Source: AP / Gregory Bull

A shooting at a mosque complex in California killed three people on Tuesday AEST, with two suspected teenage gunmen later found dead in a car from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.

Police said emergency response teams found the victims outside the sprawling Islamic Center of San Diego, before later finding the alleged shooters, aged 19 and 17, also dead.

TV footage from a helicopter showed armed response teams gathered outside a building, with one unidentified person lying in a pool of blood.

Dozens of patrol cars were lined up around the Islamic Center, described on its website as the largest mosque in San Diego county, which lies in southern California.

After a short period of lockdown when authorities advised residents to stay inside, San Diego police announced that the threat at the centre had been "neutralised".

"We received a call of an active shooter at the Islamic centre. Within four minutes, officers arrived on scene and observed immediately three deceased victims out in front," San Diego police chief Scott Wahl told reporters.

"We immediately began to deploy with an active shooter response into the mosque and adjacent school," he said, adding that police had received calls about more gunfire nearby, where a landscaper at work had been shot at but not hit.

All of the children who were attending a day school that is part of the mosque complex were accounted for and safe after the shooting, Wahl said.

He said the FBI was called in to assist in the investigation of the incident, which the police chief said authorities were treating as a hate crime.

Place of worship targeted

Outside the Islamic centre, police found a vehicle in the middle of the street with the alleged shooters dead inside.

"The suspects at this point appear to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. There were no officers involved in firing their weapons," Wahl said.

Police said that a security guard at the Islamic centre was among the three victims killed. The identity of the other two fatalities was not immediately clear.

The imam at the mosque, Taha Hassane, said that all the staff, teachers and children at the mosque were safe.

"We have never experienced tragedy like this before. And at this moment all that I can say is, sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community here," he said.

"It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship," the imam added.

US President Donald Trump described the shooting as a "terrible situation".

"I've been given some early updates but we're going to be going back and looking at it very strongly," he told reporters.

State governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the apparent attack, his press office said.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: Reuters, AFP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world