in brief
- Five Sydney Swans players have been suspended for the remainder of the AFL season.
- The players have been stood down amid an ongoing sexual assault investigation.
The five Sydney Swans players stood down after the club found they had breached its standards on the night they were linked to a sexual assault investigation have broken their silence for the first time.
"We are deeply sorry to everyone involved," reads a statement posted to the Sydney Swans website and attributed to all five players.
"We know we have let down our partners and families, members, supporters, teammates, the AFLW team, corporate partners and everyone at the Club and in the wider community."
"We accept the Club sanction and apologise for the impact this has had on those involved."
Sydney Swans chairman Andrew Pridham earlier apologised to the club's fans and corporate partners over the conduct of the five players.
News that makes sense
Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.
But he did not apologise to the women affected in the incident, confirming the club had made no contact with them as it was a "police matter".
Pridham and Sydney Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich fronted media on Wednesday afternoon, hours after the club confirmed Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner would not be considered for selection for the remainder of the season, including the finals.
The sanctions follow an incident at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne that is being investigated by Victoria Police as an alleged sexual assault.
Five players were linked to the investigation and have not been arrested or charged.
It is not suggested the five players have been accused of sexual assault.
However, they said the sanctions were in response to their own "standards breach" — including staying out late, drinking, and "bringing women back to the hotel" — and independent of the Victoria Police investigation.
No contact with the women affected
Asked directly whether the club had apologised to the women involved, Pavlich said the club would not be reaching out.
"It's a police matter, so we're not going to interfere with that by reaching out to them," Pavlich said on Wednesday afternoon.
"We are deeply concerned about their welfare and the wellbeing of those women and we offer as much support as we can."
But Pridham's own apology, delivered at the top of the press conference, was directed elsewhere.
He offered a "sincere apology to the community, to our many fans, our corporate partners, who've been amazingly supportive of us and understanding that we are attempting to deal with this matter as quickly as we can, as honestly as we can".
He did not mention the women affected.
Pavlich said the club's AFLW team — who play a double-header alongside the men's side this weekend — were "deeply disappointed" by the incident and that "their welfare is of the utmost importance to us".
The 'standards breach' behind the sanctions
The club reached the sanction through its own internal process, including interviews with five players and other parties, Pavlich said.
He detailed the standards breach: "It was staying out late, it was drinking, it was continuing to continue their night, it was bringing women back to the hotel."

"It was a long way short of what we expect of our players and we're holding them to a really high standard," he said, adding that there was no imposed curfew on the players.
Reporters suggested that other players and staff had also been drinking after the match, but Pavlich said he had "no issue with them at all", referring to a larger group of coaches, physios and players who had gone out drinking.
The five players will remain part of the football club and welcome to use facilities.
Asked about language he'd used earlier in the week, which described the players as having "found themselves" in the situation, Pavlich said he had been trying to "take ownership" of the process and "get on the front foot".
Pridham called it a "very significant sanction", noting the club was willing to remove five of their "absolute best players" from finals contention.
"To deny those five players and the rest of their teammates and everyone else involved — the fans — the ability to compete on a level playing field in the finals, we felt was a very, very significant consideration," he said.
"I hope it demonstrates that we're not trying to brush anything under the carpet."

Asked how serious the underlying allegation was, Pridham said the club was only addressing the breach of standards, not the substance of the police matter.
'Proud of our culture'
Pridham repeatedly defended the club's culture.
"We're very proud of our culture that we've built over many, many years at the club. We get more right than we get wrong," he said.
"Clearly, this is a very sad day for us and for everybody involved."
"I know that the five players involved — they're extremely remorseful for their actions and having breached the club's standards."
Asked what changes the club would make to address respect towards women, Pridham said the men's team had "by and large" shown "complete respect for women".
"I don't think that's something of concern," he said, adding that, "in time", they will review if any changes need to be made.
Victoria Police investigation ongoing
Victoria Police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday to investigate a sexual assault report made in the early hours of the morning.
The club's board held a snap meeting on Tuesday night to determine sanctions after concluding interviews with the players involved, saying they were in "serious breach of expected club behaviour and standards".
"The Club also acknowledges that these serious allegations impact others and their wellbeing must be paramount.
"The Sydney Swans condemn all forms of abuse and disrespectful behaviour towards women."
AFL CEO Andrew Dillon said the incident raised "broader issues for our game and our responsibilities as a sport".
"The woman who made the report to police is entitled to privacy and care, and that should be respected," Dillon said in a statement on Tuesday evening.
"Sexual assault allegations are serious, regardless of who is involved, what time of year it is, or what they may mean for a season."
Dillon said the AFL and the Swans would "consider the broader conduct of the players as more information comes to light".
The AFL released a statement on Wednesday afternoon indicating the players would no longer be eligible for selection in the upcoming 2026 All Australian squad.
Victoria Police said on Tuesday that it was investigating the incident.
"The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing," it said.
"Police spoke to a number of people at the hotel, however no one has been arrested or formally interviewed at this time."
If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732, text 0458 737 732, or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

