SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Second horror Bathurst crash in 24 hours

There has been a horror crash at Mount Panorama in a V8 Supercars support category on Saturday, barely 24 hours after Chaz Mostert's accident.

Bathurst
A supplied image obtained Friday, Oct. 09, 2015 of Chaz Mostert of Prodrive Racing Australia during the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000. Source: AAP

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

V8 Supercars support category driver Damien Flack has been airlifted to hospital following a horror crash at Mount Panorama on Saturday, barely 24 hours after Ford star Chaz Mostert's shock accident.

Aussie Racing Car Series driver Flack is believed to have suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung after his vehicle went into a spectacular roll on Conrod Straight before catching fire track-side.

Flack received contact from behind by his brother Adrian during the race and spun before rolling six times at a speed of up to 230kph.

Officials said Flack was "alert and talking" when medical staff arrived at the scene before he was taken by helicopter to Liverpool hospital in a stable condition.

The crash came barely a day after Mostert broke a leg and wrist in a Bathurst 1000 qualifying accident that also injured three trackside officials.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Mostert was airlifted to Orange hospital where he was scheduled to have surgery on Friday night.

Mostert's Prodrive Racing team said that surgery had been delayed until Saturday morning due to a "more urgent case" at Orange hospital.

Mostert is expected to be ruled out for the rest of the season with five rounds left.

V8 Supercars officials confirmed on Saturday that they would investigate Mostert's crash with Prodrive Racing.

"We can always learn something from what has happened and how to prevent other things happening in the future," V8 Supercars technical director David Stuart told speedcafe.com.

The three officials were cleared of serious injury.

Fans have begun signing a "get well soon Mozzie" wall near the merchandise stalls at the track in a huge show of support for Mostert.

There was also drama in the second Aussie Racing Car Series event on Saturday.

Sam Milton's vehicle ended up on its side, pinned against the wall by Craig Woods' car, before the Reid Park section of Mount Panorama.

Both drivers walked away unscathed.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world