SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Security tightened at French Open

The French Tennis Federation says there will be an increase of 25 per cent in the number of security agents operating at this year's French Open.

Two security guards at the Roland Garros stadium
Security will be tighter than ever at the French Open following the attacks in Paris last November. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Security will be tighter than ever at the French Open in the wake of the deadly attacks in Paris last November.

The French Tennis Federation said there would be three mandatory check points for entry into Roland Garros, and spectators will be subjected to systematic body searches.

Officials declined to give the precise number of security agents being deployed, saying only it was up by 25 per cent compared to last year.

There will also be two perimeters of barriers outside the venue, plus police sniffer dogs.

"It's true that players sometimes are asking us questions, but they are globally satisfied," French Open director Guy Forget said on Friday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"They know we took all necessary measures in the past, and that they will be implemented this year again."

There was a breach in security last year when a teenager managed to make it out of the stands and stroll across the court to get near Roger Federer, using a mobile phone to try to snap photos.

In the 2009 French Open final, a fan ran onto the court and put a hat on Federer's head, while three years ago a man who jumped onto the court with a lit flare briefly interrupted the final between Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer.

"I believe that people who organise the event and the whole city is 100 per cent focused on making the event safe for everybody, not only for the players," Nadal said.

Asked about the previous incidents at Roland Garros, top-ranked Novak Djokovic said he "never had an issue with security in this tournament".

"I'm aware of events that you've mentioned. Certainly, with what has happened several months ago in Paris and where the world is at this moment, of course we need to tighten up the security," Djokovic said.

"You know, better safe than sorry."

In the wake of the attacks in Paris that left 130 people dead, France remains in a state of emergency, which was recently extended by two months and will cover the French Open, the European Championship in June-July, and the Tour de France in July.

It expands police powers to put people under house arrest and allows authorities to forbid the movement of people and vehicles at specific times and places.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world