SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Shot man may have been victim of road rage

A man who was shot in the legs and lower body whilst driving through southwest Sydney on Saturday night was not known to police.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A bad case of road rage could be behind a shooting in southwest Sydney that has left a man in hospital with multiple gunshot wounds.

Police say the 35-year-old man, from the Liverpool area, was driving along Edensor Park in St Johns Park late on Saturday when another car pulled up alongside him.

"A number of shots have been fired from the passenger-side window (of the second car)," Inspector Stuart Cadden told reporters in Cabramatta on Sunday morning.

"These shots have entered through the door of the victim's vehicle, striking him in the legs and lower body a number of times."

Rather than stop to dial triple-zero, the injured man drove on until he reached the St Johns Bowling Club.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Staff at the bowls club were able to get help for the man.

Insp Cadden said the victim was not known to police and had been unable to identify his shooter, though he had been co-operating with investigations so far.

One line of inquiry investigators will pursue is the possibility that the shooting was a case of road rage.

He said police were familiar with the victim's two passengers but that they were not known to be involved in gang activity.

"The two passengers have been spoken to by police. At this stage I can't disclose what they have said but they are assisting us.

"They weren't harmed," Insp Cadden said.

He said the possibility that one of these two passengers was the intended target of the shooting had not been ruled out, "but at this stage we've got nothing to suggest that".

The victim remained in a stable condition in hospital on Sunday morning and was expected to undergo surgery.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world