SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Silk Road website 'founder' indicted in US

A US man has been indicted on charges he was the mastermind behind the Silk Road website.

1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A US man has been indicted on charges he was the mastermind behind a website that brokered more than $US1 billion ($A1.15 billion) in transactions for illegal drugs and services.

An indictment unsealed in New York on Tuesday charges Ross William Ulbricht with drug trafficking, computer hacking, money laundering and other counts.

A lawyer for Ulbricht, Joshua Dratel, said his client would plead not guilty on Friday.

"The indictment was expected and does not contain any new factual allegations," Dratel said in a statement.

The 29-year-old Ulbricht was arrested late last year.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Authorities say he operated the Silk Road website under the name "Dread Pirate Roberts".

The website allowed users to anonymously browse nearly 13,000 listings.

Authorities say the categories included "Cannabis," "Psychedelics" and "Stimulants".

Purchases were made using the virtual currency Bitcoin.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world