SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Spedding wants child sex charges dismissed

Accused child molester Bill Spedding will argue for a case against him to be thrown out before his trial next year.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A man questioned over the disappearance of toddler William Tyrrell will fight to have unrelated historical child sex charges thrown out.

William Harrie Spedding, 65, appeared in Campbelltown District Court on Wednesday morning, flanked by his wife and a small band of supporters.

His lawyers filed documents beginning his application for a permanent stay of proceedings on historical child sex allegations.

Spedding is charged with sexually assaulting two girls aged three and six in a caravan in Sydney's southwest in 1987.

The allegations came to light after the repairman was questioned over the high-profile disappearance of Tyrrell, who vanished from a relative's Kendall front yard on the NSW Mid North Coast two years ago next week.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Crown Prosecutor Craig Everson conceded that evidence had been lost and some witnesses had died in the three decades since the offences are said to have been committed, but said this was not unusual in cases involving historical allegations.

"Mr Spedding was spoken to by police about these allegations, by the investigating officers, and that interview has been lost. Ongoing inquiries will be made to try and find it," Mr Everson added.

Judge John Pickering said documents had only been served on prosecutors the previous day, and that the stay application ought be heard by the trial judge.

He has moved the trial, which is expected to run for up to four weeks, to the Sydney District Court on February 6, 2017.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world