Steve Smith to open up at SCG

Steve Smith will speak to reporters at the SCG, marking his first public interview in Australia since returning in tears after the Cape Town cheating scandal.

cricket

Steve Smith will front a media conference at the SCG on Friday. (AAP)

The next stop in Steve Smith's comeback tour is likely to be cancelled but the suspended superstar's reintegration into Australian cricket continues apace.

Smith will speak to media at the SCG prior to the Sydney Sixers' training session on Friday, marking his first interview in Australia since repeatedly breaking down during a tearful press conference at Sydney airport in March.

Australia's former skipper has made few public appearances while serving a 12-month ban for his role in the Cape Town cheating scandal.

However, Smith's battle for redemption returned to the headlines after a Vodafone campaign he is spearheading was launched during Wednesday night's Big Bash League season opener.

"I was in a pretty dark space ... I've certainly had some difficult days," Smith says in the advertisement.

"But it's OK to be vulnerable. Everyone makes mistakes.

"It's about the way you respond to it that's really important. I want to come back better than I was."

Smith is expected to be overseas for the MCG and SCG Tests, which overlap with a mid-season break in Sydney grade cricket.

The 29-year-old recently helped his Sydney club Sutherland win a Twenty20 final at the SCG while Tim Paine's side battled India in the second Test.

The classy right-hander's next on-field assignment was set to be next month's Bangladesh Premier League as a replacement player for Comilla Victorians.

However, that T20 gig is now in doubt as Bangladesh's franchises row over whether Smith should be allowed to take part given he wasn't part of the original draft like Sylhet Sixers captain David Warner.

Cricbuzz is reporting that Comilla has been informed by Bangladesh's cricket board that Smith is ineligible but the club intends to appeal the decision.

Smith is set to take part in the Pakistan Super League and Indian Premier League before a likely return to Australia's ODI squad.

Smith has been regularly training with NSW teammates at the SCG in recent months, while he caught up with national coach Justin Langer last month.

The widespread expectation is that Smith will be part of Australia's World Cup and Ashes defence in England next year.

But the process in which Smith returns is proving divisive itself, as reflected by contrasting responses to the Vodafone commercial plus the players' union unsuccessful push for him, Warner and Cameron Bancroft to return early.

Langer likened Australian cricket to a "dysfunctional family" last month, speaking after weeks of messy infighting and bloodletting.

"He's just over it," Smith's friend and Test paceman Pat Cummins said last month.

"He wants to play some cricket ... he's sick of all the talk.

"There's some good T20 comps around the world coming up."


Share

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Download our apps
SBS News
SBS Audio
SBS On Demand

Listen to our podcasts
An overview of the day's top stories from SBS News
Interviews and feature reports from SBS News
Your daily ten minute finance and business news wrap with SBS Finance Editor Ricardo Gonçalves.
A daily five minute news wrap for English learners and people with disability
Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS
SBS World News

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service
Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world