SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Stevie J to play on with GWS

Veteran forward Steve Johnson will play on for GWS in the AFL next year.

GWS Giants forward Steve Johnson
Veteran forward Steve Johnson has agreed to play on for Greater Western Sydney next year. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The prospect of success with GWS Giants has convinced veteran forward Steve Johnson to saddle up for a 16th season and spurn opportunities to return to Victoria.

Johnson initially signed for just one season after being released by Geelong last year.

A triple premiership winner with Geelong, the 33-year-old Johnson kicked 43 goals for the Giants before missing the preliminary final through suspension.

"I think I can still go to the well once more and I want to stay involved here and hopefully bring home a flag next season.," Johnson said at the Giants' grand final lunch in Sydney on Wednesday.

"As much as it was a great season for the footy club, it was a missed opportunity, towards the end, so certainly I see the success building and to be given that opportunity to and the potential to do that next season is something I'm excited about."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The 275-game veteran confirmed he had other options, believed to be coaching offers back in Victoria.

"I wouldn't say it was (an) easy (decision). I took a lot of time to consider it," Johnson said.

"You've got to pass it by your family. I guess you always want to play footy because that's what you love doing,.

"But I think everyone was aware there was some offers to move back to Melbourne."

Giants' coach Leon Cameron, who last weekend flagged the possibility of Johnson playing on for another season, was delighted by the veteran's decision.

"I think he's got the appetite to play and clearly his legs are still going at the moment," Cameron said

"He contributes not just on the field, his ability to hit the scoreboard.

"'He does contribute in making our forward line work, so we're rapt to have him aboard."

Johnson admitted it was tough to watch last Saturday's preliminary final loss, but said he didn't feel guilty at missing the game for a high bump on Sydney's Josh Kennedy in the qualifying final.

"I didn't feel guilty because I can honestly say that I didn't mean to do it. It wasn't intentional," Johnson said.

He will undergo minor knee surgery next week, a procedure which has become a regular part of his career.

"I think this year is operation number 15, so it's amazing I'm probably still playing,'" Johnson said.

"It's a really minor thing that won't affect me too much, I'll be back day one of pre-season."

Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 (for young people aged 5 to 25).


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world