SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Stoke's Shawcross to face Newcastle, Muniesa ruled out

Shawcross played the entire 120 minutes before Stoke knocked holders Chelsea out in a penalty shootout, his first game since he had surgery to fix a back problem in August.

Stoke's Shawcross to face Newcastle, Muniesa ruled out
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Stoke have kept just two clean sheets in 10 Premier League games this season without him and Shawcross is in contention to play against struggling Newcastle United in the Premier League on Saturday.

Steve McClaren's side are second from bottom in the table, six points below Stoke who occupy 14th place.

"Ryan Shawcross looked fine, which was pleasing," Hughes told reporters at his pre-match news conference before the Newcastle game.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"It was a huge test for him given that he had been out for a couple of months, but he came through the game and showed his qualities, both in terms of play and ability as well as leadership.

"I don't think we ever envisaged him having to come through 120 minutes on his first game back, but he managed to get through it.

"Hopefully, he will be available for us on Saturday. It was a huge lift for us all to see him back out there on Tuesday night."

Spaniard Muniesa, however, tore his hamstring five minutes into the second half of the midweek tie and will be out for at least a month, Hughes said.

"Marc Muniesa has quite a serious hamstring injury.

"It's unfortunate for him and for us because it is a grade two, or even a grade three tear which means he is looking at a minimum of three or four weeks.

"It hasn't been the best week for us in terms of losing defenders, because leading into the Chelsea game we were threadbare and losing Marc hasn't helped us."

Defender Geoff Cameron is still recovering from an injury he picked up against Watford on Saturday, but right-back Glen Johnson is back in training and could play at the weekend, the manager said.

(Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaulru; editing by Amlan Chakraborty)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world