SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Storm's Chambers' rep hopes in tatters

Storm centre Will Chambers will miss three months with a fractured foot ending his chances of Kangaroos selection, and all but ruling him out of Origin.

Melbourne Storm player Will Chambers
Melbourne centre Will Chambers (L) has been ruled out for three months with a foot fracture. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Melbourne, Queensland and Australia are on the hunt for a new centre after Will Chambers was sidelined for three months with a fractured foot on Wednesday.

Chambers has undergone surgery on his foot after suffering the injury in the Storm's NRL loss to Canterbury on Monday night, after initially thinking he'd only rolled his ankle.

The incumbent Test and State of Origin centre is the third long-term casualty in Melbourne's backline. Test fullback Billy Slater is out for the season following shoulder surgery and promising young centre Curtis Scott is absent with a broken leg.

Since returning to the Storm in 2012 after a stint in rugby union, the durable Chambers has only missed two games through injury since that season's qualifying final.

He played out the AAMI Park round seven match against the Bulldogs, however scans on Tuesday revealed the extent of the injury.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"It wasn't until his foot swelled overnight after the game that we thought something more serious had happened," Melbourne Storm football director Frank Ponissi said.

"We are extremely disappointed to lose Will. He's an important part of our team and has been a consistent part of our line-up for the last three seasons, resulting in well-deserved selection in the Queensland State of Origin and Australian Kangaroos sides."

Chambers cemented his place in the Queensland side last year and made his Kangaroos debut against the Kiwis at Suncorp Stadium in May last year.

Chambers is no chance of playing in this year's Anzac Test on May 6 and faces an uphill battle to play any part in the Maroons' Origin campaign with two games in June and a third on July 13.

Greg Inglis could now partner winger Dane Gagai in the Queensland centres with Darius Boyd likely to start at fullback in the absence of Slater.

The Storm won't announce Chambers' replacement for their NRL clash with Wests Tigers on Sunday until just prior to kick-off.

Their centre combination was already make-shift with Ben Hampton partnering Chambers there against the Bulldogs.

Cameron Munster, their first-choice centre alongside Chambers, had already shifted to fullback to replace Slater.

Ponissi was trying to stay positive.

"While we've suffered some injuries to our outside back stocks in the early part of the season, it provides us another chance to give an opportunity to some of our younger players who have shown consistent form with our feeder teams," Ponissi said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world