SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Swiss train attack suspect and woman die

A 34-year-old woman who was injured in an attack by a knifeman on a Swiss train has died in hospital, police say.

Train attack
Emergency services attend the scene at Salez - Sennwald train station after a man attacked passengers at Salez, Switzerland, on, Aug. 13, 2016. Source: AAP

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The man who attacked passengers on a crowded Swiss train with a knife and a burning liquid has died of his wounds as did one of his victims, while three others remain in a critical condition.

Police are still searching for a motive but said there's no indication the suspect, identified only as a 27-year-old Swiss man from a neighbouring region, had ties to extremist groups.

The three people in a critical condition include a six-year-old child, and their wounds are considered life-threatening, St Gallen canton police spokesman Hans-Peter Kruesi told the Associated Press.

Swiss police searched the suspect's home after the Saturday afternoon attack on the train as it neared the station in Salez, close to the Liechtenstein border.

Kruesi would not comment on what evidence was seized at the home, but said "so far there are no indications this was a terrorist or politically motivated crime".

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Police were not able to question the suspect before he died, he said, adding that the man had no criminal record and was not previously known to police.

According to a video of the attack evaluated by police, the assailant acted alone, attacking passengers on the train between Buchs and Sennwald with a knife and then a burning liquid, which is now being analysed by a police forensics team.

Five passengers on the train were wounded in the attack and a sixth person on the train platform was wounded as he pulled the burning suspect off the train, police said.

The Swiss train attack again illustrates how difficult it is for authorities to protect the continent's labyrinthine transport system, particularly against individuals wielding unsophisticated weapons.

Last month in neighbouring Germany, a 17-year-old refugee from Afghanistan used an axe and a knife to wound four tourists on a train, and stabbed a woman as he fled. The attacker was shot and killed by police. All his victims survived.

In May at a train station in the German state of Bavaria, a 27-year-old German man who had been in psychiatric care stabbed commuters, killing one and wounding three others before being apprehended by police.

Last year a heavily armed gunman opened fire on a high-speed Amsterdam to Paris train but was overpowered by two young American soldiers and their companion.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world