SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Sydney Swans players involved in alleged incident under police investigation

Police attended an East Melbourne hotel following an incident in the early hours of Monday morning.

A middle-aged man with grey hair, dressed in a navy suit.
Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich confirmed players had been involved in an "alleged incident". Source: AAP / Nadir Kinani

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

In brief

  • Several Sydney Swans players have been investigated following an "alleged incident" in a Melbourne hotel.
  • Police confirmed they were investigating a report of sexual assault.

This article contains references to sexual assault.

Several Sydney Swans players are being investigated over an alleged sexual assault in Melbourne.

Victoria Police on Monday said they were investigating a report of sexual assault, as Sydney confirmed several Swans players were involved in an "alleged incident".

Police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday after an incident in the early hours of that morning.

The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG that locked in second place on the ladder and a home qualifying final.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

On Monday afternoon, Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich addressed the media in Sydney and again confirmed players had been involved in an "alleged incident", but didn't offer further details.

"We can confirm that several players were involved in an alleged incident last night in Melbourne," Pavlich said.

"We've identified this to the AFL that we are working with them and also the relevant authorities on this matter.

"We're still piecing together exactly what's transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing.

"But safe to say that we're extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.

"We understand the level of interest in the matter, and there'd be lots of speculation, but given it's a police matter right now, that is all that we can say."

Pavlich was asked whether anyone was arrested.

"As I said, it's a police matter ongoing. I'm not going to comment any further on it right now," Pavlich said.

Police had earlier confirmed they were investigating a report of sexual assault.

"Police are investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August," Victoria Police said in a statement provided to the Australian Associated Press.

"The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning.

"The exact circumstances are yet to be established, and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing."

The AFL has been contacted for comment.

If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732, text 0458 737 732, or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world