SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Tennis-Cibulkova, Wozniacki advance in contrasting style

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Women's world number six Dominika Cibulkova and former top-ranked player Caroline Wozniacki took contrasting routes to the second round of the Sydney International on Monday.

Tennis-Cibulkova, Wozniacki advance in contrasting style
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Cibulkova dropped just two games in her 6-2 6-0 demolition of Germany's Laura Siegemund as the reigning WTA Finals champion set up a second-round meeting with Eugenie Bouchard of Canada.

Wozniacki survived a second set meltdown to beat Olympic champion Monica Puig 6-3 2-6 6-4.

"It's a tough match, because you kind of feel like 'oh, I'm winning pretty comfortably right now' but then she can go on a streak," said the Dane.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"That's where it started going in the second set, and in the third set I tried to stay closer to the baseline and maybe play a little deeper," Wozniacki added.

Cibulkova needed three gruelling sets against Siegemund in their only previous meeting last year in Wuhan but was a lot more assertive on Monday.

"I just felt pretty good, you know, overall when I practise here, and of course match and practice is different story, but I was ready," said Cibulkova, who suffered a quarter-final defeat at the hands of Frenchwoman Alize Cornet in Brisbane last week.

"I knew it was going to be tough, but I had very good answers for her good shots. I was really solid, and when I had the chance, I was going for my shots.

"The chances I didn't take in Brisbane against Cornet, today I took almost all of them. So sometimes it's like this. I really appreciate this performance I had today."

Sixth-seeded Brit Johanna Konta and ninth seed Roberta Vinci also progressed with straight-sets victories.

Konta defeated local favourite Arina Rodionova 6-3 6-4 while Vinci beat Greek qualifier Maria Sakkari 6-4 6-0.

There was more heartbreak for local fans as Australian veteran Sam Stosur bowed out after her 6-3 6-1 defeat by Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.

The defeat prolonged former U.S. Open champion Stosur's poor build-up for the Australian Open, starting in Melbourne next Monday, as she had also lost in the first round to Garbine Muguruza in Brisbane last week.

"I don't really know what to say. I don't feel like I played bad," Stosur said after the match. "I don't feel like I played obviously as well as I can."

(Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; editing by Amlan Chakraborty)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world