SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Theatre critic reveals Taupau NRL move

Manly have confirmed the signing of West Tigers back-rower Martin Taupau on a four-year NRL deal after a bizarre set of circumstances.

Martin Taupau of the Tigers
An email mix-up may have confirmed NRL player Marty Taupau's signing with Manly. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Only in the NRL could a theatre critic in Canada announce one of the biggest off-season signings.

Following a chaotic morning that Wests Tigers chief Justin Pascoe described as almost comical, the Tigers and Manly were forced to confirm Martin Taupau had been released from the final year of his contract at Concord to sign a four-year deal with the Sea Eagles.

After a decade of the NRL trying to grow coverage of the game overseas, Canadian James Kelleher Nestruck sent the code into a spin on Friday morning when he tweeted: "Anyone cover the New Zealand rugby league and want the contract of a player called Martin Taupau that was just emailed to me by accident?"

Nestruck, who goes by the name of J Kelly Nestruck, bears the same first initial and surname as Manly chief executive Joe Kelly.

The Canadian-based critic has a remarkably similar email address to the Sea Eagles' boss and received scanned documents in error from a British public notary with the signed release and new contract.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Breaking: Martin Taupau signs three-year deal with ManlyWarringah Sea Eagles, 2016 - 2019," Nestruck tweeted.

It would seem the notary was hired by the Sea Eagles to finalise the signing of the contract, given Taupau is on tour in England with New Zealand.

"The negotiations regarding releasing Taupau have been going on over the last week and our organisation has been doing everything possible to be respectful to Taupau, our members and fans as this is a sensitive issue for all," said Tigers CEO Pascoe.

"To see all of that work being undone and for the story to come out in this way is disappointing and almost comical."

Taupau's player agent Darryl Mather, also described news of Nestruck's revelation as "extraordinarily frustrating".

The Tigers, who have been attempting to fix their dire salary cap situation in recent months, said Taupau had told them he wished to leave at the end of his current contract.

The signing is a massive coup for the Eagles, further facilitating the rebuilding of their pack alongside fellow recruits Nate Myles, Lewis Brown, Darcy Lussick and Matt Parcell.

"Marty is a very damaging and aggressive forward who can certainly win you a game," new Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett said.

"He has really come on over the past 12 months and I am looking forward to developing his game."

On a day when @nestruck trended in #Sydney on Twitter, Nestruck farewelled the rugby league community before returning to work.

"Hey there Antipodean rugby enthusiasts ... Thanks for all the interest, but I'm done playing at Kiwileaks now - and am off to review a play," he tweeted.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world