SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

'Thunder' shooting suspect faces US court

A US man will be back in court next month after he allegedly fired a gun during an attempted robbery at an Australian strip show in Las Vegas.

Joey Kadmiri awaits his arraignment
A US man has appeared in court for an attempted robbery at an Australian strip show in Las Vegas. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A man accused of firing a gun as he tried to make off with costumes and props used by Thunder From Down Under male performers in Las Vegas has appeared in court.

Joey Kadmiri had visible injuries on his face on Monday, when a judge set a preliminary hearing for April 7.

He was taken to hospital with facial injuries, including a black eye, after being subdued by performers from the Australia-themed show during last week's scuffle at the Excalibur hotel casino.

Kadmiri, 24, had refused to make an initial appearance on Friday on several charges including attempted murder, armed robbery and burglary.

In interviews on Friday with KLAS-TV and the Las Vegas Sun, Kadmiri said he suffered from mental-health and drug problems, and needed outpatient therapy.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I have these hallucinations that I'm running away from somebody, and I ended up backstage somehow," he said, adding he was on methamphetamines that night.

Terrified someone wanted him dead, he decided to use the show's costumes as a disguise, Kadmiri said.

"I hope that I can get past this and get the proper mental help on the outside, outpatient, and be a good person again with my family and have everything being back to being normal," he said.

"That is all I want in my life."

No one was seriously injured in the incident.

Witnesses told police that Kadmiri had pointed a gun at a show member's head before another cast member jostled the suspect's hand and the shot hit a wall.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world