SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Tomic moving on to top-10 hopes

Bernard Tomic says he is fully committed to Australia's Davis Cup team as he aims to push towards a top-10 world ranking.

Bernard Tomic.
Bernard Tomic says he is fully committed to Australia's Davis Cup team. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Bernard Tomic says he is fully committed to Australia's Davis Cup team despite Monday night's no-show at the Newcombe Medal.

Neither Tomic nor fellow controversial star Nick Kyrgios were nominated for the award, but the Queenslander says he is now focused on moving into the top-10 in 2016 heading into the Australian summer.

"It was the best thing to avoid questions. We weren't nominated and we felt it wasn't the right thing to do," Tomic told News Corp Australia.

"It's all fine, I'm very happy with them (in the Davis Cup team). It's a lot of reasons why I've been playing well.

"We're all on the right path. It's really coming along well. I have to use the next five weeks of training well."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Tomic was suspended for the home Davis Cup quarter-final against Kazakhstan, however was called to the team for the semi-final tie against Great Britain in September.

The world No.18 will resume his push for a top-10 ranking at January's Brisbane International, joining fellow Australians Sam Groth and Thanasi Kokkinakis at the event.

Tomic fears the decision to play in Brisbane may cost him valuable rankings points, however he is confident a successful Australian Open campaign could lift him as high as 12th in the world.

"I'd preferred to get ready in Sydney, but in the end I felt like playing Brisbane because it's near my house," he said.

"If I play well in Australia, it may be four months (away from making the 10).

"I learnt a lot this year and it's very close. It's a tough field in Brisbane, but I can prepare and give that week a shot."

The 23-year-old made the quarter-finals in Brisbane last year, before making his second consecutive fourth round of the Australian Open later in the month.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world