SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Toronto's crack mayor confronts new video

Toronto's embattled crack-smoking mayor says he's embarrassed by a video that shows him drunk while ranting and swearing.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford speaking to the media
The mayor of Canada's largest city Toronto has admitted to smoking crack after months of denials. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Toronto's crack-smoking mayor is facing new embarrassment after video footage was published showing him in an agitated state, staggering and making foul-mouthed threats.

Rob Ford, who admitted earlier this week that he had smoked crack cocaine while on a drunken binge, said he had been "extremely, extremely inebriated" when the video was shot.

"It's extremely embarrassing and I don't know what to say," Ford told reporters outside his office on Thursday, after seeing the one minute 17 second clip.

The video purchased and released by the daily Toronto Star shows Ford staggering around an unknown living room, ranting and making punching gestures.

Watch the video on the Toronto Star website (Warning: Offensive language)

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"I'll rip his f***ing throat out. I'll poke his eyes out... I'll make sure that motherf***er's dead," Ford says, in a tirade apparently secretly videotaped by someone in the room.

"I'm gonna kill that f***ing guy. I'm telling you, it's first-degree murder," he says.

This video comes after Ford on Tuesday admitted that he once smoked crack "probably in one of my drunken stupors".

The admission by the 44-year-old came after repeated denials, and six months after another video surfaced that allegedly showed him consuming the illicit drug.

The first video is now in police possession as part of an investigation of Ford's longtime friend Alexander Lisi for extortion, related to Lisi's attempts to recover the video.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world