SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Troops may stay in Afghanistan beyond war

Barack Obama said Afghanistan will take responsibility for its own future after the end of the year, but a small US military force may remain in 2014.

US NATO soldiers
President Barack Obama says a small US military force may remain in Afghanistan next year. (AAP)

1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

President Barack Obama says a small US military force may remain in Afghanistan next year, but he's promising to declare an end to the 12-year war there at the end of 2014.

Obama said during his State of the Union speech Tuesday that Afghanistan will take responsibility for its own future after the end of the year.

He said any US troops that remain beyond 2014 will only help continue to train Afghan forces and carry out counterterror operations against al-Qaida and other extremists.

Obama did not say how many troops might remain in Afghanistan after this year.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has so far refused to sign a security agreement with the US that would allow American troops to remain.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world