SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Trump immigration order was wrong: UK PM

The US exceutive order to ban travellers from seven Muslim-majority countries was "wrong" and "divisive" says UK Prime Minister Theresa May.

1 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

US President Donald Trump's order temporarily banning entry to people from seven Muslim-majority countries is wrong and Britain does not plan to adopt a similar policy, Prime Minister Theresa May says.

Trump's order, announced hours after his first meeting with May in Washington last month, barred travellers from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering for 90 days.

"We thought that was wrong, that was divisive, it is not a policy that the United Kingdom would adopt," May said when asked about the order during a news conference on Thursday.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world