SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Trump says no Iran talks planned, shares map showing Hormuz as 'new US territory'

Iran has insisted it will not reopen the waterway until the US halts its blockade of Iranian ports.

Donald Trump, sitting on a yellow chair.
US President Donald Trump has denied active negotiations with Iran and maintained that the US' naval blockade remains in full force. Source: AFP / Jim Watson

4 min read

Published

Source: AFP


Skip to article content

in brief

  • Donald Trump said there were no talks scheduled with Iran, despite an envoy saying "active conversations" were taking place.
  • Regional tensions escalated further as the United Arab Emirates announced a halt to trade with Iran.

United States President Donald Trump has said no talks with Iran are underway and none are scheduled, as he posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a new US territory.

Trump has been pressing his threat to claim sovereignty over the crucial energy waterway as the nearly six-month-old Iran war grinds on with little sign of resolution.

Trump's envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner had said on Monday that the US and Iran were having "very positive and active conversations", but the president denied that was the case.

"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect," Trump wrote on his Truth Social network on Tuesday night.

"The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

US sources told the Agence-France Presse news agency there had been "positive" discussions with the Iranians, but added that Trump had decided to wait and asked his team not to engage until Iran was ready to make a deal.

In recent weeks, there has been a lull in fighting, though the United Arab Emirates has recently accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles — which landed at sea — targeting "maritime navigation." Iran, however, denied firing a missile toward the UAE.

Soon after, the UAE announced that "in light of regional escalations" it was halting all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran.

The UAE bore the brunt of Iranian missile and drone attacks in the first period of the war, but had not reported any attacks since the US and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding in June that was meant to halt the fighting.

Earlier on Tuesday, Trump posted a map on Truth Social showing the Strait of Hormuz as a "NEW U.S. Territory".

Iran has effectively shut down the chokepoint, through which a fifth of the world's oil would usually transit, in retaliation for the war launched by the US and Israel in late February.

Trump revisited the idea again earlier in the week in comments to reporters in the Oval Office.

This is not the first time that Trump, faced with a foreign policy obstacle, has threatened to annex foreign territory.

Since returning to power in 2025, he has threatened to make Canada the 51st US state, seize Greenland and Cuba, and has even alluded to taking control of the Gaza Strip, without following through on any of these threats.

'Very patient'

Before the Iran war erupted on 28 February, the Strait of Hormuz was an open waterway with free passage.

Iran says it will not reopen the strait until the US meets a sweeping list of demands including ending the US blockade of Iran's ports, lifting oil sanctions, unfreezing Iranian assets and paying war damages.

"I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding ... are implemented," Iran's top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on state television.

Kushner told Fox News on Monday that Trump "is going to be very patient ... he doesn't want to rush to a deal".

But Iran appears content to wait out Trump, whose approval ratings are falling as his promises to keep the US out of another 'forever war' ring hollow.

The war has driven up prices for US consumers ahead of crucial midterm elections in November that will decide whether Trump's Republicans keep control of Congress.

Trump has shown signs of frustration, threatening on Monday to "bomb the sh-t" out of US ally Oman if it interfered with a deal on the Strait of Hormuz.

Meanwhile, Qatar, a key mediator in the stalled US-Iran talks, said on Tuesday that an agreement between Iran and Oman over the Strait of Hormuz would make it easier to resume negotiations to end the war in the Middle East.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world