SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Tweet casts doubt over Pacquiao-Horn fight

Manny Pacquiao has cast further doubt over his potential bout with Australian Jeff Horn by starting a Twitter poll asking to choose his next opponent.

Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines
Manny Pacquiao has cast further doubt over his potential bout with Australian Jeff Horn. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Australian welterweight Jeff Horn's dream fight with Manny Pacquiao is up in the air with the legendary Filipino running a Twitter poll asking followers to choose his next opponent.

Hot on the heels of a tweet from Saturday which said: "see you in UAE for my next fight", Pacquiao started a poll on Monday asking who he should fight next out of Horn, Amir Khan, Terence Crawford and Kell Brook.

Horn was a clear last on seven per cent after more than 44,000 votes with Amir Khan (48 per cent) ahead of Brook (24 per cent) and Crawford (21 per cent).

A Horn-Pacquiao bout had been mooted to happen in April at Suncorp Stadium but Pacquiao's adviser Michael Koncz fronted media in Abu Dhabi on Saturday to claim it would take place in the UAE.

Koncz apologised to the Australian public for the confusion, explaining that the UAE was always the first preference and Brisbane was a "back-up plan" for Pacquiao.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Duco Events founder Dean Lonergan, who has been in negotiations with the Queensland government to bring the fight to Brisbane, said on Saturday Top Rank boss Bob Arum was Pacquiao's exclusive promoter.

Lonergan believes only Arum has the power to make a fight involving the 38-year-old superstar happen and is continuing to plan as if the Horn fight will go ahead.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world