SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Two more charged over Brussels attacks

Two more suspects have been charged over the March 22 Brussels bombings that killed 32 people at the international airport and on the subway.

Brussels arrests
Belgian police during a search in Etterbeek, Brussels, Belgium, 09 April 2016. Source: AAP

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Belgium has charged two more men with terrorist offences over alleged links to the rental of a property thought to have been used as a safe house before the Brussels attacks, federal prosecutors say.

They identified the two men charged on Monday as Smail F., born in 1984, and Ibrahim F., born in 1988, but did not say when they were detained.

Under Belgian law, suspects usually need to appear before an examining judge within 24 hours.

That brings to six the total number of suspects caught and charged since late last week as a result of investigations since the March 22 bombings in Brussels that killed 32 people.

"They are charged with participation in the activities of a terrorist group, terrorist murders and attempts to commit terrorist murders, as a perpetrator, co-perpetrator or accomplice," federal prosecutors said on Tuesday of the latest two to be charged.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Police raided the suspected safe house in the central Brussels district of Etterbeek on Saturday, but found no weapons or explosives.

Belgian newspaper DH said the two men had been seen on security camera footage entering the house the day after the attacks and carrying out several bags. Prosecutors were not immediately available for comment on the DH report.

Four other suspects were arrested on Friday, including Mohamed Abrini, who investigators say has confessed to depositing a bomb at Brussels airport, and Osama Krayem, suspected of buying bags used by the bombers.

Abrini is also wanted in connection with November's attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world