SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Two times winner Al-Attiyah pulls out of Dakar

The 2011 and 2015 champion, and early favourite for this year's honours, ripped a wheel off the car in Wednesday's third stage in Argentina and lost more than two hours as he limped to the finish.

Two times winner Al-Attiyah pulls out of Dakar
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Organisers said the 46-year-old 2012 Olympic shooting bronze medallist had not started the fourth stage from San Salvador de Jujuy to Tupiza in Bolivia.

Al-Attiyah had won this year's first stage, was runner-up in the second and was poised to retake the overall lead in the third from France's nine times world rally champion Sebastien Loeb when he went off-track and crashed into a hole.

He had recognised on Wednesday that his hopes of a third overall win had disappeared.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"Game over. A bad day," he told the Dakar website (www.dakar.com) after ending the day 32nd overall but still hoping to continue competing.

"We stopped to repair but we could not. We don't have all the parts.

"It was a mistake ... it's bad luck but this is the race. This is how the Dakar is. We were doing a really good job, we were leading but there you go."

The Qatari had already had a lucky escape on the opening day when his car caught fire after a leak sprayed oil on the exhaust.

In other drama, it emerged on Thursday that Slovakian KTM motorcycle rider Ivan Jakes had been hit by lightning 300km from the finish on the previous day's stage.

He continued riding but was taken to hospital for checks after reaching the finish. Doctors later cleared him to continue in the race.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin; Editing by Hugh Lawson)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world