SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

UEFA reviewing security following Dortmund bus blast

NYON, Switzerland (Reuters) - European football authority UEFA said it was reviewing security for Wednesday's Champions League matches and would increase it where necessary, a day after explosions hit the Borussia Dortmund team bus.

UEFA reviewing security following Dortmund bus blast
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Tuesday's match was called off after the blasts, which damaged the vehicle en route to the stadium for the German side's clash with AS Monaco.

UEFA said in a statement there had been no specific intelligence regarding any threat to Wednesday's matches.

They include the rescheduled Dortmund/Monaco game, while Bayern Munich are due to host Real Madrid in Germany with Atletico Madrid at home to Leiceister City in Spain.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Four ties in the secondary Europa League competition are due to be played Thursday with matches in Lyon, Amsterdam, Brussels and the Spanish city of Vigo.

"UEFA – in co-operation with the police, security services, stadium management and the clubs involved – is reviewing the security arrangements for tonight’s matches and security procedures will be enhanced accordingly wherever needed," it said.

Giorgio Marchetti, UEFA's competitions director, told Reuters television that it was the first such incident the European football body had to deal with.

"And no, we have not received any information regarding this type of attack, prior to the match," he said at UEFA headquarters.

"We have already asked the clubs to review, with the police, their security arrangements and measures to guarantee the safety and security of all those involved today and also tomorrow."

He said that there would be "more body searches" at the Dortmund game.

"Backpacks will not be admitted into the stadium, there will be restriction for the car parking and of course, more stewards and more policemen around."

(reporting by Cecile Mantovani; writing by Brian Homewood; editing by John Stonestreet)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world