SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

UK foiled 12 terror plots since June 2013

UK's security and intelligence services, as well as its police, have disrupted more than 10 terror plots in the last three years, officials say.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The terror threat from Islamic State is "here to stay", the head of the UK's security agency MI5 is warning.

Andrew Parker described the danger posed by the group as "at least a generational challenge".

He issued the stark assessment as MI5 revealed 12 plots have been foiled in the UK since June 2013.

The official threat level for international terrorism in the UK currently stands at severe - meaning an attack is "highly likely".

It has been at the category for more than two years amid the emergence of IS and security services are on high alert following a number of assaults abroad.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

MI5 Director General Parker said on Monday Islamic State "is an enduring threat, here to stay, and is at least a generational challenge.

"MI5 and the intelligence agencies have good defences because of the investment made in our capabilities.

"We will find and stop most attempts to attack us, but not all."

MI5 - officially known as the Security Service - is also continuing to work to counter threats from terrorism in Northern Ireland and the activities of hostile states seeking to carry out damaging espionage.

Parker's comments came after an address to the Royal Society's annual diversity conference.

He called on the country's scientific and technological sector to continue to play its crucial part in keeping the country safe.

The spy chief said all MI5's successes had relied on the innovation, talent and expertise of staff in IT, science and technological roles - and that these skills were increasingly needed in countering the threats the UK faces.

"MI5 has a vital, critical dependence on the best and brightest minds to help us stop these threats."

Last week a senior counter-terrorism police officer described how authorities were working at a "relentless pace", dealing with around 550 live cases at any one time.

It was revealed earlier this year that around 850 people linked to the UK and regarded as a security threat are believed to have taken part in the Syrian conflict, with just under half thought to have returned to this country.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world