SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Up to 500 migrants drowned in Med tragedy

UNHCR says up to 500 people may have drowned after a boat carrying Somalian migrants sank trying to cross from Libya to Italy last week.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Up to 500 migrants might have drowned in the Mediterranean last week when human traffickers crammed people onto an already overcrowded ship, causing it to sink, the UN refugee agency said.

Somalia's government said on Monday about 200 or more Somalis may have died in the tragedy while trying to cross illegally to Europe.

After talking to survivors, the UNHCR agency said on Wednesday the overall death toll might have been much higher.

"If confirmed, as many as 500 people may have lost their lives when a large ship went down in the Mediterranean Sea at an unknown location between Libya and Italy," the UNHCR said.

The agency said the survivors - 37 men, three women and a three-year-old child - were rescued by a merchant ship and taken to Greece on April 16.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

They recounted that they had been among 100 to 200 people who set sail from Libya last week headed for Italy.

After several hours at sea, the traffickers tried to move them onto a bigger ship that was already packed with migrants.

This ship sank before the survivors could board it.

They then drifted at sea for up to three days before being saved.

The group was made up of 23 Somalis, 11 Ethiopians, six Egyptians and one Sudanese national.

The Somali government said on Monday that the capsized boat had set sail from Egypt.

News of the disaster emerged on the first anniversary of one of the worst disasters in the Mediterranean in recent times, when an estimated 800 migrants drowned off the Libyan coast after the fishing boat they were sailing in collided with a mercantile vessel that had been attempting to rescue them.

Some 150,000 migrants reached Italy by boat in 2015, the vast majority sailing from Libya.

So far this year, about 25,000 migrants have arrived, an increase of 4.7 per cent over the same period last year, according to Interior Ministry data.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world