SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

US Army sex assault prosecutor suspended

The soldier responsible for prosecuting sexiual assault cases in the US military has been suspended on allegations he groped a female lawyer.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The US Army's top prosecutor overseeing sexual assault cases has been suspended over allegations he groped a female lawyer working for him and tried to kiss her, officers say.

The suspension of Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Morse on Thursday marks the latest embarrassing setback for the US military as it battles a sexual assault crisis that has sparked calls for a radical overhaul of its judicial system.

The allegations were first reported by the Stars and Stripes newspaper and confirmed by military officers who spoke on condition of anonymity.

No charges have been filed against Morse, who supervises the army's special victim prosecutors that handle sexual assault, domestic abuse and crimes against children cases.

The female army lawyer has alleged Morse groped her and attempted to kiss her against her will.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The alleged incident took place in 2011 in a hotel room at a sexual assault legal conference in Alexandria, Virginia, officials said, before Morse was named to his current job.

Morse also served as the lead prosecutor in the criminal case against Staff Sergeant Robert Bales, who pleaded guilty to a mass murder of Afghan civilians in 2012.

"We can confirm that this matter is currently under investigation and that the individual in question has been suspended from duties, pending the outcome of the investigation," said a defence official.

Reports of sexual assaults in the US military jumped 60 per cent last year, though officials say the surge shows victims have more confidence their cases will be taken seriously.

About 5,400 cases of sexual assault were reported in fiscal year 2013, compared to 3,374 reports in 2012, according to the Pentagon.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world