SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

US authorities charge man in ricin probe

A 41-year-old martial arts instructor has been charged with sending ricin-laced letters to President Barack Obama and other public officials following his arrest.

poison_ricin_us_aap_130417_b_1660287798

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AFP


Skip to article content

A 41-year-old martial arts instructor has been charged with sending ricin-laced letters to President Barack Obama and other public officials following his arrest.

James Everett Dutschke was formally charged with attempted use of a biological weapon just hours after being detained at his home in Tupelo, Mississippi at 12:50 am (0550 GMT) by federal agents.

Three letters laced with ricin were discovered last week as the nation was reeling from the deadly bombing at the Boston Marathon, an eerie echo of the anthrax letters sent to public officials soon after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The potentially lethal letters had been sent to Obama, a US senator and a Mississippi judicial officer.

Dutschke has been charged with "knowingly developing, producing, stockpiling, transferring, acquiring, retaining and possessing a biological agent, toxin and delivery system, for use as a weapon," the FBI's local field office and the US attorney's office said in a statement.

If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of life in prison, a $250,000 fine and five years of supervised release.

Dutschke will appear before the US District Court in Oxford, Mississippi on Monday, a Justice Department statement said.

Authorities had initially arrested another man, Paul Kevin Curtis, in the case but the charges against him were later dismissed and he was released from jail.

Investigators suspected Curtis because he had written publicly about an alleged black market for the illegal sale of human body parts that he thought was being covered up by the government.

But his attorney insisted from the get-go that Curtis was framed and pointed the finger at Dutschke, who reportedly had a long-standing dispute with Sadie Holland, a Mississippi justice of the peace who received one of the letters.

Dutschke, however, insisted that Elvis impersonator Curtis had implicated him in order to dodge his own guilt.

"I guess Kevin got desperate. I feel like he's getting away with the perfect crime," he told The Clarion-Ledger newspaper earlier this week.

"It has made my family incredibly unsafe. It has put a target on us, and it was reckless and irresponsible," Dutschke added.

"The phone has been ringing off the hook, with calls and hang-ups and all sorts of horrible things."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world