SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

US marks seven years for American 'held'

US Secretary of State John Kerry is appealing anew for the release of an American hostage, given his "health, age, and length of time in captivity".

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

US Secretary of State John Kerry has marked seven years since the disappearance in Iran of American Robert Levinson and urged Tehran to work with Washington to ensure his safe return.

"Robert Levinson disappeared seven years ago from Kish Island, Iran, during a business trip. He is one of the longest held American citizens in history," Kerry said in a statement on Sunday.

"Mr Levinson's disappearance has been heart-wrenching for his wife and children, who feel his absence especially deeply at the many family milestones missed these past seven years," Kerry said.

"We respectfully ask the government of Iran to work cooperatively with us on the investigation into his disappearance so we can ensure his safe return.

"This is the seventh year that Mr Levinson has spent without his family. We remain committed to the hard work ahead to ensure that it's his last."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Levinson, a retired FBI agent, flew to the Iranian resort island of Kish in March 2007.

The US government repeatedly said he was on a business trip when he disappeared, but news reports in recent months have said the CIA had been paying him to gather intelligence.

Iran has said it is not holding Levinson, and denies any knowledge of his whereabouts.

The United States has offered a $US1 million ($A1.10 million) reward for information leading to the safe return of Levinson, who turns 66 on Monday.

"Given Mr Levinson's health, age, and length of time in captivity, we mark this anniversary with a special sense of urgency," he said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world