SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

US orders staff out of South Sudan

Non-emergency US personnel and American tourists are being ordered to leave South Sudan immediately as a coup attempt mounts.

1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The State Department is ordering non-emergency US personnel to leave South Sudan and is suspending normal operations at its embassy due to political and social unrest.

The department is also warning US citizens against all travel to South Sudan and recommending that Americans currently in the country depart immediately.

The department says Americans who stay despite the warning should seriously reconsider and should review their personal security situation.

South Sudan is on edge as its military hunts soldiers suspected of mounting a coup attempt. The United Nations says the fighting has forced about 13,000 people to seek refuge at UN facilities.

The coup attempt took place Sunday when a group of soldiers raiding a weapons store within the main army barracks were repulsed by loyalists. Gunfights have continued since then.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world