SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

US sends extra combat unit to South Korea

US Secretary of State John Kerry says his country will send 800 more soldiers to South Korea with tanks and armoured troop carriers.

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The United States is sending an additional army combat force of 800 soldiers to South Korea with tanks and armoured troop carriers.

The US also pledged on Tuesday to continue to modernise the military capability of its ally to face any threat posed by North Korea.

The announcement came as Secretary of State John Kerry met his South Korean counterpart, Yun Byung-se, in Washington DC.

Kerry reiterated that the US would maintain its nuclear defence for South Korea and would not accept North Korea as a nuclear state.

The US already has about 28,500 troops in South Korea as an expression of commitment to its defence against North Korean aggression.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

An armistice, but not a peace treaty, halted the 1950-1953 Korean War.

Concern over the North's development of weapons of mass destruction has intensified in past year, as it has launched a long-range rocket and conducted its third nuclear test explosion.

"We remain fully committed to the defence of the Republic of Korea, including through extended deterrence and putting the full range of US military capabilities in place. We will continue to modernise our capabilities so that we are prepared to face any threat," Kerry said after meeting Yun.

A Pentagon announcement said the 1st Battalion, 12th Cavalry Regiment from the 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood, Texas, will deploy to two locations in South Korea on February 1.

A Pentagon spokesman, Army Col. Steve Warren, said the increase in troop strength and firepower had been in the planning stages for more than a year and is part of a "rebalance" of US military power toward the Asia-Pacific region.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world