SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

US ship heads out to destroy Syrian stash

A 197.5m US cargo ship has been outfitted with two large portable hydrolysis systems designed to neutralise lethal chemical agents in Syria's arsenal.

3 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A specially-equipped US naval ship has departed for Italy on a ground-breaking mission to destroy Syria's most dangerous chemical agents.

Setting off from the port of Norfolk on the Virginia coast, the MV Cape Ray is due to arrive in the southern port of Gioia Tauro in about "two to three weeks," Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steven Warren told reporters on Monday.

The 197.5m cargo ship has been outfitted with two large portable hydrolysis systems designed to neutralise lethal chemical agents in Syria's arsenal.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel sent a letter to Captain Rick Jordan and the 135-member crew telling them they were embarking on an "historic mission."

"You are about to accomplish something no one has tried," Hagel wrote in the letter released by the Defense Department.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"You will be destroying at sea one of the world's largest stockpiles of chemical weapons and helping make a safer world," he wrote.

The Cape Ray was initially supposed to head out earlier on Monday but engine problems delayed the scheduled departure, officials said.

The ship has a crew of 35 civilians operating the vessel and will have a 63-member team in charge of the hydrolysis units as well as a security force on board.

The hydrolysis machines will mix heated water and other chemicals to break down the lethal agents, resulting in a sludge equivalent to industrial toxic waste.

Last year, the UN Security Council backed a US-Russian deal to remove and destroy Syria's chemical arsenal.

The agreement was brokered as a way to avert US missile strikes that Washington threatened after a chemical attack near Damascus, which Washington and other Western governments blamed on the regime.

Under the accord, Syria's entire chemical arsenal is to be eliminated by June 30.

The arrangement will see some of the most dangerous agents neutralised on the US ship at sea, as no country was ready to host an operation to destroy the chemicals.

The chemicals will be loaded on to the Cape Ray at the Italian port and then taken to an undisclosed location for destruction.

The materials are the deadliest in Syria's 1290-tonne declared arsenal and include mustard gas and the ingredients for the nerve agents sarin and VX.

The destruction of the chemicals could take between 45 to 90 days, according to the Pentagon.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world