SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Valencia still have plenty to prove, coach Nuno says

MADRID (Reuters) - Valencia's 1-0 victory at Olympique Lyonnais in Champions League Group H on Tuesday revived their campaign after a defeat on the opening matchday but coach Nuno is aware they still have work to do to win over some disgruntled fans.

Valencia still have plenty to prove, coach Nuno says
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Back in Europe's elite club competition after a two-year absence, Valencia are second in the section on three points from two games, three behind leaders Zenit St Petersburg, who beat them 3-2 at the Mestalla two weeks ago.

Nuno and the players have been subjected to some sustained whistling during a series of below-par performances in La Liga and they are eighth after managing only two wins in six outings in Spain's top flight this term.

They face a difficult trip to play Athletic Bilbao on Sunday and Nuno said that while the team should be proud of their achievement in Lyon there was plenty of room for improvement.

"We are not euphoric and we have to focus now on our next match in the (domestic) league," he told a news conference.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"But we can be happy and proud of the work we are doing," added the Portuguese, whose credentials have been questioned following the team's stuttering start.

"The main thing is that we all believe we are doing things well. We have to show belief and work a great deal so that we can achieve success in the future."

After the match in Bilbao, Valencia have a couple of weeks to regroup during the international break before they host Malaga on Oct. 17.

The following week they host Ghent in the Champions League before a crunch La Liga clash at Atletico Madrid on Oct. 25.

Valencia were runners-up in Europe's elite club competition in 2000 and 2001 but financial problems over the following decade forced them to sell many of their best players and they have struggled to compete for titles.

However, last year's takeover of the club by Singapore billionaire Peter Lim has raised hopes they can return to the top in both Spain and Europe.

(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Sudipto Ganguly)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world