SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Vasseur becomes principal of growing Renault F1 team

LONDON (Reuters) - Renault has appointed Frenchman Frederic Vasseur as principal of its British-based Formula One team which plans to add 100 staff to the payroll this year, Renault Sport Racing president Jerome Stoll said on Wednesday.

Vasseur becomes principal of growing Renault F1 team
(Reuters)

3 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

He added that a mid-season restructuring will also see Renault Sport Managing Director Cyril Abiteboul move to Britain from France to focus on improvements at the Enstone factory.

Vasseur, who started the season as Racing Director in a team with no official principal, will oversee day-to-day track operations at races and engine activities in Viry-Chatillon, near Paris.

"We also have the target of almost 100 extra personnel at Enstone this year as well as over 30 extra personnel at Viry," Stoll told the official Formula1.com website.

"This is not the work of a moment as we are targeting the very best people in their respective fields."

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Renault had said when they bought the ailing Lotus team last December that it would add significantly to the factory workforce.

Stoll's comments made clear that Britain's recent vote to leave the European Union had not changed those plans.

He said Renault, drivers' and constructors' champions in 2005 and 2006 with Spaniard Fernando Alonso, was committed to a capital expenditure programme over the next five years to return to the top.

"Next year we are targeting top five in the constructors’ championship; the year after we want to be regularly fighting for podiums," he said.

"By 2020 we want to be fighting for the championships with the best power unit and best chassis in the sport. This is what we want to achieve."

The French carmaker will supply three teams with engines next season -- the factory outfit along with Red Bull Racing, whose units are badged as Tag Heuer, and Toro Rosso.

Renault have scored in only one of nine races so far this season, with Denmark's Kevin Magnussen seventh in Russia. Red Bull's Max Verstappen won in Spain and finished second in Austria last weekend.

Technical head Nick Chester said the majority of Renault's focus was now on the 2017 car.

"We are at the stage where we are defining the chassis, looking at cooling and suspension layouts and developing bodywork in the wind tunnel," he said in a preview for Sunday's British Grand Prix.

"The programme has shifted heavily towards 2017 and we are working through it completely with our power unit colleagues as one team."

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ken Ferris)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world