SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Vic budget likely to show $1.5b surplus

Victoria's budget is set to post at a $1.5 billion surplus in the 2015-16 financial year, partly due to its booming property market.

Victorian Treasurer Tim Pallas.
Victoria has recorded a $1.5 billion surplus in its 2015-16 mid-year budget update. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A booming Melbourne property market and a surprise windfall has Victoria expecting a budget surplus above $1.5 billion.

The 2015-16 mid-year financial report shows the state as being $940 million in the black, before a court judgment awarded the state $540 million from gambling firm Tatts Group.

State final demand had grown to 4.6 per cent in December 2015, up from 2.4 per cent the year before.

"Our economy is improving and improving quickly," Treasurer Tim Pallas told reporters on Friday.

Treasury has the surplus at $1.5 billion but it is expected to be higher at the end of June.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Victoria was handed $1.5 billion for the dumped East West Link toll road, and the federal government originally demanded that money back.

"The issue is resolved, the Commonwealth have made their position clear, the money will remain in Victoria for Victorian projects," Mr Pallas said.

Victoria pulled in $31.9 billion in revenue in the last six months of 2015, up 8.2 per cent on the corresponding period in 2014.

Total expenses for the last six months of last year were $30.7 billion.

Stamp duty worth $509 million drove a significant portion of the extra revenue.

Shadow treasurer Michael O'Brien said the Tatts judgment and the property market was propping up the budget.

"Debt is up by $408 million with the debt figure now standing at $22.7 billion. This is $1.5 billion more than when Labor came to office," Mr O'Brien said.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world