SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Vic cops have more than 200 on terror list

More than 200 people in Victoria are under observation by police for signs of radicalisation to help prevent a terror attack.

Police officers in Melbourne
Victoria's counter-terrorism team is watching more than 200 people for signs of radicalisation. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Victoria's terror watch list has blown out to more than 200 as police remain alert to the possibility of a terror attack.

The spate of recent terror attacks across the world, including the horrific Paris massacre just last month, have heightened community anxiety about a potential attack happening in Victoria, Assistant Commissioner Ross Guenther said on Saturday.

As the head of Victoria's new Counter Terrorism Command team - which will address critical areas of intelligence, prevention and investigation with specialist response officers - Mr Guenther said he and his team were secretly keeping tabs on a range of people, including those from a younger age group.

He said the number of people being watched for radical behaviour and links to terror had spiked in the past five to 10 years, and particularly since the Paris attacks.

"You can imagine that post-Paris events, there's heightened community anxiety, and, as a result of that, the number of calls we receive through the national security hotline see an increase and spikes along the way," he told reporters on Saturday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"This generates greater need for investigation from our behalf. Some of it is about community reassurance, and some of it leads to us following through by means of a comprehensive investigation."

Mr Guenther said social media had changed the way people connect, which has "impacted on the way young people can then legitimately be radicalised".

Victoria police last month welcomed a $49.4 million boost to police counter-terrorism efforts from the Andrews government, which includes the hire of 88 counter-terrorism experts.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world