SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Vic stabbing accused 'danger to everyone'

A man accused of nearly killing two men in separate Melbourne stabbing attacks has been labelled a "danger to everyone" by police during a bail application.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A homeless man accused of nearly killing two men in separate Melbourne stabbing attacks has been labelled a "danger to everyone" by police during a bail application.

John Samuel Thackray, 32, is charged with two counts of attempted murder after two men were attacked in South Yarra in March and July.

Thackray made a brief appearance in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Sunday and was kept behind protective glass for it.

He is accused of stabbing one man at a William Street property after the home-owner found Thackray sleeping at his back door on March 18.

The man's upper body was stabbed eight times, including to his heart, and he needed life-saving surgery at the Alfred Hospital, Detective Senior Constable Shane Neville told the court.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Then, in July, another man was attacked.

Police allege the victim confronted Thackray on Osborne Street because he thought the homeless man was trying to steal his car.

Thackray went away and then came back, and a second altercation took place and the man was stabbed and slashed, with an artery in his leg resulting in near-fatal blood loss, Det Sen Const Neville said.

It will also be alleged Thackray assaulted a Woolworths worker on the same day as the Osborne Street attack because the staff member accused him of shop lifting.

In opposing bail, Det Sen Const Neville told the court Thackray has a long history of random, unprovoked attacks.

"He is a danger to everyone he comes in contact with," Det Sen Const Neville said.

Det Sen Const Neville told the court Thackray had previously yelled at a child who bumped into him on a bus, then assaulted a man who stood up for the child, tried abducting a woman from her own home, beat a cell mate in jail, and attacked two bus drivers and a truck driver.

Thackray was refused bail and will reappear in court on August 10.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world