SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Vic stadium plan pretty bold: premier

The Victorian premier has been briefed about a proposal to demolish Etihad Stadium and replace it with a new stadium next to the MCG.

An exterior view of Etihad Stadium and the Docklands Precinct
The Victorian premier has been briefed about a proposal to demolish Melbourne's Etihad Stadium. (AAP)

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Victoria can't sit around and do nothing if it wants to continue being a great sporting city, Premier Daniel Andrews says, but plans to demolish Etihad Stadium and build a new venue next to the MCG are "pretty bold".

Mr Andrews has been briefed on football identity Eddie McGuire's $1 billion plan to revamp Olympic Park, which would involve relocating Hisense Arena above an underground Richmond station to make way for the new stadium.

"I'm always for talking about ideas, debating and discussing ideas," Mr Andrews told reporters on Wednesday.

"We are a great sporting city but we can never ... sit around doing nothing."

Mr McGuire believes the new 60,000 stadium would benefit Victorians for the next 50 to 100 years.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"If we can do it in a way that liberates so much money to be going back into ... the development of the game, and at the same time benefits every other code, it is worth having a look at," Mr McGuire told the Nine Network on Wednesday.

State Opposition Leader Matthew Guy says the plan looks "pretty good" but would potentially be too expensive.

"It's a great idea but it's going to cost a lot of money from the state government and I'm not sure Daniel Andrews has got that kind of money to throw around at the moment given he's wasted so much," Mr Guy told reporters on Wednesday.

"You can't have both (Etihad and a new stadium) - Melbourne can't accommodate three stadiums of that size."

Mr Guy said putting Richmond station underground would also involve a significant cost to the government.

Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle last year predicted Etihad Stadium would be gone within 20 years but on Wednesday he suggested other parts of Docklands could be home to a new ground - instead of Olympic Park.

"I think it's a good conversation to be having now," Mr Doyle told 3AW.

Etihad opened in 2000 and is used for AFL, soccer, the rugby codes and cricket, as well as concerts and other special events.

The AFL is due to take ownership of the stadium in 2025.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world