SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Vic teen fights tracking device order

A Melbourne teenager who once faced a high-profile terror charge says he shouldn't have to wear a tracking device any longer.

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A teenager once linked to an Anzac Day terror plot in Melbourne is fighting an order that requires him to wear a tracking device.

Police dropped a terror-related charge against Harun Causevic in August and he was handed a good behaviour bond for three minor weapons offences.

The 19-year-old was also made to wear a tracking device, after an interim control order sought by Australian Federal Police was approved by Federal Circuit Court Judge Norah Hartnett.

AFP Assistant Commissioner Neil Gaughan is now asking the court to continue the order until September this year, but Causevic is fighting it, particularly the tracking device condition.

The device is hindering his employment opportunities, and that's not in the community's best interests, the court was told on Friday.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Causevic has previously been linked to Sevdet Besim, also 19, who pleaded guilty on Thursday to plotting an Anzac Day terror attack where a police officer would have been run down and beheaded.

Besim talked about his plans in online communications with a person overseas.

"I'd love to take out some cops," Besim wrote.

"I was gonna meet with them then take some heads ahaha."

Both Besim and Causevic were arrested during pre-dawn raids on April 18 last year.

Mr Gaughan's barrister, Stephen Donaghue, QC, said Causevic held extremist views back then and there was no evidence his state of mind had changed.

He said Judge Hartnett should be satisfied Causevic intended to take part in the planned attack with Besim.

Causevic's barrister, David Neal, SC, said there was no evidence of that at all, or of the teenager's alleged extremist views.

He also told the court Causevic had cut ties with his previous associates and had extensive support from his family.

The tracking device was hindering the teenager's chance of employment, which was important for both him and the community so that he could transition back into normal life, he said.

If Causevic had really wanted to carry out a terrorist act, the device would not have stopped him.

"Someone who has embarked on martyrdom is not worried about going to jail," Dr Neal said.

Causevic spent 127 days in a maximum security prison before the terror-related charge was dropped last year.

Police said there was not enough evidence to proceed with the charge.

Judge Hartnett will hand down her decision about the control order next week.

Besim will face a hearing on August 1, after pleading guilty to one count of doing acts in preparation or planning for a terrorist act.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world