Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Vic track worker struck by train

A track worker is in a serious but stable condition in hospital after he was struck by a Melbourne train.

A city train in Melbourne
A rail worker has critical head injuries after being struck by a train in Melbourne. (AAP)

A rail worker has been left with a deep head gash after being struck by a Melbourne train.

The critically injured man was rushed to Royal Melbourne Hospital after being hit by the city-bound service in Laverton on Friday morning.

A hospital spokeswoman said on Friday afternoon his condition had been downgraded to serious but stable.

The Metropolitan Fire Board said the track worker was struck shortly before 9.30am.

"Fortunately, the train driver was following standard protocols and was only travelling slowly through the work site when a protruding part of the lead carriage hit the 40 year-old worker," an MFB statement said.

Metro Trains suspended the Werribee line while the incident was investigated, leaving the train with no power to run air-conditioning systems and forcing about 200 passengers to sit uncomfortably in the sun.

Firefighters handed out bottled water before the commuters were bussed to the nearest station.

The train was evacuated about 10.40am.


1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world