SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Victorian government to investigate death of toddler Sanaya Sahib

Victorian families minister Jenny Mikakos has ordered a probe into whether government agencies followed 'strict protocols' before Sanaya Sahib's death.

Sanaya was found in the Darebin Creek about 2.45am on Sunday
Sanaya was found in the Darebin Creek about 2.45am on Sunday Source: Facebook

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

The actions of welfare agencies in the weeks and months before toddler Sanaya Sahib's death are to be investigated by the Victorian government.

The 14-month-old was allegedly murdered by her mother, Sofina Nikat, in Melbourne on Saturday.

Nikat was excused from fronting court on Wednesday after her lawyer, Michael McNamara, raised mental health concerns.

Now state families minister Jenny Mikakos has ordered a probe into how government agencies dealt with the family before the toddler's death.

"There are strict protocols in place between agencies and services when it comes to sharing information about children," a government spokeswoman said in a statement.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"The Minister for Families and Children has requested the Commissioner for Children and Young People investigate the death of Sanaya Sahib to determine whether these protocols have been followed by the Department of Health and Human Services and all related agencies."

Sanaya's body was found in the Darebin Creek on Sunday less than 24 hours after Nikat told police she had been snatched from her pram in a Heidelberg West park.

Nikat had told police a man of African appearance, smelling of alcohol and wearing no shoes, pushed her to the ground before taking off with the toddler.

She said she gave chase but could not catch him.

Nikat, of Mitcham, was charged with her daughter's murder on Tuesday.

A public memorial will take place at the Heidelberg park on Friday when balloons will be released to remember Sanaya.

The 14-month-old's funeral will be held on Saturday with Sanaya's father - who separated from Nikat a year ago - saying the public is welcome to attend.

 


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world