SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

WA bushfire evacuees return home

Residents are returning to their properties following a deliberately-lit bushfire that swept through the Lake Clifton area 100km south of Perth, destroying 10 homes.

WA_firetrucks_110112_B_aap_1649555429

2 min read

Published

Updated

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Residents are returning to their properties following a deliberately-lit bushfire that swept through the Lake Clifton area 100km south of Perth, destroying 10 homes.

But those in the worst-hit subdivision of Armstrong Hills were still waiting on Wednesday morning for permission to return as emergency authorities clear burnt trees and power poles from roads.

The Fire and Emergency Services Authority (FESA) said the fire had been contained and was under control.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Around 150 firefighters battled the fire over two days after it started from several ignition points around noon on Monday.

The WA Police arson squad has been on the ground and wants to hear from witnesses who saw a small dark green vehicle that was seen stopping regularly in the area when the fire started.

FESA said about 40 homes were saved in the area and 90 firefighters remained to secure the fireground on Wednesday, with high winds and hot conditions making it difficult to dampen hot spots.

Residents of the Tuart Grove subdivision, that largely escaped the blaze, were allowed back to their homes late on Tuesday.

But residents of the adjacent Armstrong Hills, some of whom lost their houses in the blaze, are still waiting for permission to return and for roads to be declared open again.

A public meeting will be held on Wednesday morning at the Waroona Shire recreation centre in Waroona which was set up as an evacuation centre.

Nine houses, one granny flat and numerous outbuildings were destroyed or badly damaged in the fire along with vehicles, powerlines and fences.

Livestock was also killed and residents held concerns for horses that had to be left behind when they evacuated.

More than 1600 hectares was burnt in the fire.

Western Power said about 100 customers were without power and crews would work on Wednesday to replace poles and lines.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world