Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

Watson weighing up BBL future

Sydney Thunder captain Shane Watson is weighing up whether the 2017-18 Big Bash League season will be his last.

Shane Watson
There's a chance that the upcoming BBL season will be Shane Watson's last. (AAP)

Sydney Thunder skipper Shane Watson is unsure if the 2017-18 Big Bash League season will be his last but is well-placed to make it his best.

The 36-year-old is coming into the third and final year of his contract with the Thunder and is weighing up whether to play on.

After belting an unbeaten century in club cricket just over a week ago, the former Test allrounder goes into Tuesday's season-opener against the Sydney Sixers in form.

Watson smashed 114, including 16 sixes, for Sutherland in a Twenty20 clash, following on from a mammoth 184 off 151 balls in a grade match in October.

After an injury-plagued and stop-start 2016-17, Watson went back to grade cricket in the lead up to this year's tournament to ensure he had runs and confidence under his belt.

"When you're hitting the ball well, it doesn't matter what bowlers you're facing," Watson said.

"There's always a step up (going from grade cricket to the BBL). The quality of the bowling consistently that you face in the Big Bash is a great challenge. It's not until you step up to that next level that you really know (if you're in form). But I know the foundation of my batting is really strong."

Watson made 104 runs from six innings in last year's BBL as well as taking seven wickets with a best of 3-23.

He said form, enjoyment and whether Thunder management wanted him to play on in 2018-19 would be factored into his decision.

"We'll just see how things pan out this summer and if I'm still loving playing and I still feel like I can contribute," Watson said.

"If the Thunder still feel like I can contribute then I'll keep going."

Last year's wooden spooners have made several changes to their squad with Andre Russell unavailable because of suspension.

They have big-hitting Englishman Jos Buttler available for the first six games of the tournament while Callum Ferguson is a big inclusion.

The Sixers will welcome back former Australian wicketkeeper Peter Nevill as a replacement for the retired Brad Haddin.

Sixers skipper Moises Henriques said he would not bowl during the Thunder's first two or three BBL matches because of a groin injury but was fit to bat.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world