SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

West Ham ready for difficult test against Palace - Bilic

The free-scoring Hammers are unbeaten on the road in the Premier League and the only points they have dropped on their travels were in the 2-2 draw at Sunderland on Oct. 3.

West Ham ready for difficult test against Palace - Bilic
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

West Ham are sixth in the table after eight games and have scored a joint-leading 17 goals so far, the same as table-toppers Manchester City and Leicester City.

Palace have also started the campaign impressively and are fourth with five wins, only two of which were at home.

Bilic has praised his counterpart Alan Pardew for reviving Palace's fortunes and has singled out Yohan Cabaye as a threat.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"We're looking forward to the game. It will be a difficult test for us," Bilic said at his pre-match press conference.

"Palace are a good team -- good in defending and great on counter-attacks. Every one of their attackers runs behind without the ball."

"Big credit to him (Pardew), because he's doing a great job. Add to that Cabaye, who can do special things. He's a top class playmaker," he added.

Bilic also praised his in-form midfielder Dimitri Payet, who has earned race reviews since his arrival.

The France international has been involved in seven goals from eight games for West Ham so far.

"I think teams have given Payet attention already. Maybe he was unknown to some of the fans, but everybody involved in football knew Dimitri before he came to West Ham," Bilic said.

"He plays in a position where you have to close that space, whoever plays there. I have no worries that there will be extra attention on him.

"You can't stop them most of the time and that's why they are good players," the former Croatia manager added.

Bilic also confirmed Enner Valencia and Angelo Ogbonna have recovered from their long-term injuries and are available for selection, along with Andy Carroll.

The 47-year-old Croat also said that defenders Winston Reid and Aaron Creswell are doubts for Saturday's game and midfielder Alex Song is at least three weeks away from full fitness.

(Reporting by Shravanth Vijayakumar in Bengaluru; editing by Martyn Herman)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world