SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

West Indian Russell banned over whereabouts violation

KINGSTON (Reuters) - West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell was banned on Tuesday for one year for a doping whereabouts rule violation.

West Indian Russell banned over whereabouts violation
(Reuters)

2 min read

Published

Source: Reuters


Skip to article content

Russell appeared to be in tears when the decision was announced at the Jamaica Conference Centre in Kingston.

The two-times Twenty20 World Cup winner was revealed to have committed the violation 11 months ago after registering three filing failures in 2015. That constitutes a failed drugs test under World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules.

"Mr Russell was found guilty of a doping violation," Hugh Faulkner, chairman of the independent anti-doping tribunal that handed out the punishment, said in a statement.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

The 28-year-old Jamaican, who helped the West Indies win their second World T20 title in 2016, will be banned for a year from Jan. 31. WADA rules state that athletes across all sports must inform their local anti-doping agencies where they will be for at least one hour each day to facilitate drug tests.

A visibly upset Russell did not comment on the ruling, but his lead attorney, while disappointed his client did not beat the case, took comfort that Russell avoided a maximum two-year ban.

"Relieved it's one year, but not two years. But I genuinely thought given the circumstances and the evidence that was before the panel that he would have been exonerated," Patrick Foster told Reuters.

The attorney has not ruled out Russell lodging an appeal to the Court of arbitration for Sport within the allowed 21 day period.

"Haven't made a decision like that as yet. We have considered it but we wouldn't really consider that seriously until we have had a chance to speak with the client and look at the (written) decision," Foster said.

Russell's ban means he will miss a lucrative year of T20 cricket, including the Indian Premier League, where he plays for the Kolkata Knight Riders.

The 28-year-old Jamaican earlier this month completed a stint with the Sydney Thunder in the Australian Big Bash league.

(Editing by Ed Osmond/Andrew Both)


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world