SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Whittington walks free from Lebanon jail

Adam Whittington, the Australian man charged over the botched 60 Minutes child kidnap attempt in Beirut, has been freed on bail from a Lebanese jail.

Supporters of Adam Whittington in Sydney
Adam Whittington has walked free from a Lebanese jail after the botched 60 Minutes child abduction. (AAP)

3 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

An Australian man who allegedly organised the botched 60 Minutes child abduction in Beirut has walked free from a Lebanese jail.

Adam Whittington, who has been charged with kidnapping, was finally freed from jail two days ago after being granted bail last week.

The dual Australian-British former soldier and two of his colleagues were charged with kidnapping after Brisbane mum Sally Faulkner's two children, Lahela, five, and Noah, three, were taken from a Beirut street in April while being filmed by a Nine Network 60 Minutes crew.

Mr Whittington's lawyer released a statement on behalf his client, saying "the truth is coming very soon".

He is expected to fly to Sweden to be reunited with his wife Karin and their two young sons.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"For two days now I have been free but I am not home with my family," Mr Whittington said in a statement released to The Australian.

"At the moment the most important thing is to get home with my family especially and see my two boys who believe their dad is never coming home.

"I ask you kindly respect the privacy of my family during this period as they will not be making more comments to the media.

"The truth is coming very soon."

Mr Whittington thanked his legal team and the British and Australian embassies for their consular assistance.

"I have and still am confident that justice will prevail with the assistance of independent Lebanese judges," he wrote.

Susan Brown, a friend of Mr Whittington's who has led a support campaign in Australia, says he is well.

"He is healthy, he is fine, he's OK and more details will come tomorrow," she told AAP.

"He wants his family's privacy respected at this time."

Ms Brown said Mr Whittington was expected to fly out of Lebanon on Friday (AEST).

"I'm elated," she said.

"I can't put into words how happy I am that he is OK and that he is out."

Ms Faulkner has said she took action to get her children back after her estranged husband Ali Elamine took them to Lebanon on a holiday in May 2015 and never came back.

Ms Faulkner, who was in Lebanon when her children were snatched, agreed to give up custody of her children in order to obtain her freedom.

Supporters of the child recovery agent have savaged the Nine Network for failing to include him in a plea deal that got Ms Faulkner, and their TV crew including reporter Tara Brown, released and home months ago.

The charges the crew faces have since been lowered to a misdemeanour that will likely only attract a fine.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world