SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Worship without fear: Melbourne Archbishop

Despite a heightened police presence people are still attending Melbourne landmarks which were allegedly the targets of a Christmas terrorist plot.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

Melbourne's Anglican Archbishop has encouraged parishioners to worship without fear after St Paul's Cathederal was named as one of three targets in an alleged Christmas Day terror attack.

Five people will appear in court on Friday with police saying they planned to use explosives and weapons to attack the cathedral, Flinders Street Station and Federation Square on Christmas Day.

Following the arrests it was generally business as usual at the three venues.

Worshippers attended St Paul's 12.15pm church service on Friday.

"I've been told by Victoria Police that the threat level is no greater enhanced now that a terrorist plot has been foiled," Anglican Archbishop Dr Philip Freier told reporters.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

"We look forward to continuing our worship on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day unaffected by these things and I'd encourage people who are planning to come and worship with us at St Paul's cathedral to do so."

Services will continue as scheduled but with extra security in place.

There was a heightened police presence at Federation Square on Friday with at least half a dozen police extra officers deployed.

"We're here to reassure the public and to make them feel safe," an officer told AAP.

Thousands of commuters continue to file through Flinders Street Station with many at first unaware of the police raids that led to the arrests.

Lizzie Hains, 18, was waiting for a friend at the station when she heard the news.

"That's so scary - I actually feel sick," she told AAP

"It makes me feel a bit unsafe."

Train services will operate as usual over Christmas and the New Year.

"There is no change to the previously scheduled services over the holiday period," a Public Transport Victoria spokesman told AAP.

Visitors continue to attend the National Gallery of Victoria at Federation Square too, with staff saying the gallery was open as usual.

It will shut on Christmas Day only as it does every year.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world