Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

'Worst nightmare': Fears for five-year-old Sharon as manhunt intensifies

Five-year-old Sharon Granites was last seen in her Alice Springs home early Sunday morning.

MISSING GIRL ALICE SPRINGS
NT Police Assistant Commissioner Peter Malley believes the five-year-old has been abducted. Source: AAP / Rhett Hammerton

In brief:

  • Fears are rising for missing girl Sharon Granites.
  • Police believe she was abducted from her home near Alice Springs.

An outback hunt is underway for a man suspected of abducting a girl as a desperate search for the missing five-year-old intensifies.

Police are trying to locate recently released prisoner Jefferson Lewis, 47, after Sharon Granites disappeared near Alice Springs early on Sunday morning.

The little girl was reported missing from her Old Timers Aboriginal town camp residence about 1.30am on Sunday after being put to bed.

Lewis had been staying at the home where Sharon lived and went missing at the same time, police said.

"We do believe Sharon has been abducted," NT Police acting commander Mark Grieve said in Darwin on Monday.

The isolated community has been urged to come forward with any information they have, as support is thrown behind Sharon's family.

The suspected abduction was "every parent's worst nightmare", Northern Territory senator Jacinta Nampijinpa Price said.

"To her family — our thoughts are with you," she posted on Facebook on Monday.

"To the community - this is the moment to step up. Someone knows something.

"Let's help bring her home."

The search for Sharon has included dozens of police officers assisted by a helicopter crew along with horse, dog and drone units.

Tactical Response Group members and emergency service volunteers have assisted the search, while major crime squad detectives have been sent from Darwin to Alice Springs.

Lewis was not directly related to Sharon but there might be a peripheral link, Grieve said.

"Police believe Mr Lewis can assist with inquiries," he said.

Police say Lewis was staying at Sharon's Alice Springs home when she disappeared.

Police did not know whether Lewis had access to a vehicle but hoped he was still in the immediate area.

"He currently remains one of the few people who were in Old Timers camp at the time and who has not made themselves known to police, nor have police been able to locate him," Grieve said.

"Considering himself and Sharon went missing at around about the same time, it certainly brings about those suspicious circumstances and we'd like to speak to him about that.

"If he is involved, we certainly hope that no harm has come to Sharon."

"Obviously, it's a terrible situation to have such a young child go missing," Grieve said.

"We're over 24 hours now, so it'd certainly be my worst nightmare as a parent.

"We want to find Sharon healthy and we want to get her back to her family."


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.


3 min read

Published

Source: AAP



Share this with family and friends


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world