SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Zimmerman not haunted by Martin case

The US man controversially acquitted of murdering black teenager Trayvon Martin says he sees himself as a victim and a scapegoat.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

George Zimmerman, the US man controversially acquitted of murdering black teenager Trayvon Martin, says he is not haunted by what happened.

Zimmerman told CNN on Monday he sees himself as a victim and scapegoat and that the only judge he has to answer to is God.

The Sanford, Florida, neighbourhood watch volunteer fatally shot 17-year-old Martin in February 2012 as the unarmed African American high schooler was walking home with iced tea and candy.

Zimmerman insisted he had been following Martin on suspicion that the youth was involved in a robbery, and that he shot him in an act of self-defence following a violent struggle.

An initial decision by Florida investigators not to press charges set off widespread protests, with Martin's supporters alleging racism and pointing to the fact that the teenager was unarmed and had no criminal record.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

A national outcry led to a jury trial for second-degree murder and manslaughter in June that ended with Zimmerman's acquittal -- and more protests.

When asked by CNN if he felt haunted by that night two years ago, Zimmerman simply answered "no."

When asked about the victim, Martin, he said: "No, I certainly was a victim when I was having my head bashed into the concrete and my nose broken and beaten. I wouldn't say I was not a victim."

He added later that he saw himself as a "scapegoat" for the government, the president and the attorney general.

Faith in God kept him from doubting himself, he said.

"I know that ultimately he's the only judge I have to answer to. I know what happened, he knows what happened. So I leave it up to him."


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world